10 Things To Consider Before Hiring A Wedding Photographer
Photo by chuttersnap on Unsplash
Hiring a wedding photographer is a big step in your wedding planning. This is the person you are trusting to capture all the intimate details of your wedding that you will cherish forever. Don’t take your selection lightly. You need to do your homework to make sure they are a good fit for what you are looking for.
Photo by Allie Smith on Unsplash
10 Things to Consider Before Hiring a Wedding Photographer
- How important is quality wedding photography to you and your partner? This is really important to understand upfront as it helps you to establish a photography budget. Will you hire a pro or take a chance on quality with an amateur, family member or friend? Make sure you and your fiance are in agreement and on the same page with this decision.
- What is your photography budget? Before you even start your search, know upfront how much you can afford. Professional wedding planners suggest 10-15% of your overall wedding budget should be spent on photography. Investing in quality photography may seem expensive at the time, but what you get in return is priceless.
- Know what photography style appeals to you most. Do you like traditional wedding photo’s, photojournalistic, stylized or a mix? Be sure that your photographers style matches what you like.
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Good wedding photographers book up fast so be sure to start your search a year or more in advance.
- Ask questions before you hire your photographer not after. Have a list of pre-qualifying questions and interview at least 3 wedding photographers. Understand exactly what is included in their packages and make comparisons before you hire.
- Photographer rates will vary greatly. Experience levels as well as part time or full time work status will be reflected in the rates they charge. Price does not necessarily commensurate with quality. You still need to interview and review portfolios before you hire. Just because they are a full time wedding photographer and shoot lots of wedding does not guarantee quality.
- The personality of your photographer is important. Having a photographer with a personality that you like will help you relax and take better pictures. You will be spending a majority of your day with them so it’s important that you and your partner enjoy their company.
- Will your photographer give you print copyrights for your images? Most modern day photographers will do this, but it is important to ask up front and understand any stipulation of the release to you.
- Who will make your wedding album? Some photographers offer an album as part of a package while others do not. If an album is offered, ask to see a sample and be sure to ask if it’s printed on archival photographic paper. You may even want to consider saving hundreds of dollars by making your own pro quality album at My Bridal Pix! Be sure to follow on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on album discounts and giveaways!
- Sign a Contract! No matter what, ALWAYS sign a contract with a wedding photographer to be assured you will get what you paid for.
Thanks for the nice compliment! It’s our goal to help educate couples on the importance of hiring the best photographer they can afford. You only get one chance to get wedding photo’s right so it’s worth the research to find the right person for the job!